TCADP Key Accomplishments in 2016
- Hosted the TCADP 2016 Annual Conference in Houston, featuring Nebraska Senator Colby Coash as the keynote speaker.
- Recruited and trained our fourth class of TCADP Lobby Corps members, who are playing an active role in the 85th Texas Legislature.
- Featured prominently in local, state, and national media coverage of death penalty issues.
- Published year-end report, Texas Death Penalty Developments in 2016: The Year in Review, which received widespread media coverage in Texas and nationwide; hand-delivered copies of the report to every legislative office at the State Capitol.
- Cultivated relationships with community leaders throughout the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex, presented to more than a dozen groups, and co-hosted two high-profile events with author and faith leader, Shane Claiborne.
- Supported three conferences of the United Methodist Church in Texas in passing resolutions supporting the church’s position against the death penalty and encouraging clergy and lay leaders to become engaged in the issue.
- Mobilized our members and key partners to stop executions in cases that raise troubling questions about the fairness and accuracy of the Texas death penalty.
- Raised awareness of the flaws that persist in the administration of the death penalty in observance of the 40th anniversary of the U.S. Supreme Court decision, Gregg v. Georgia.
- Organized events featuring exonorees, murder victims’ survivors, family members and friends of persons on death row, and former prosecutors.
- Attracted new followers and increased engagement on social media.
- Secured more than 100 recurring donors, whose gifts collectively amount to nearly $20,000/year for TCADP.
- Received a $1,000 cash prize for having the most unique donors in a one-hour time block during Amplify Austin for the fourth year in a row.
Key Accomplishments from previous years are available here.