The TCADP Lobby Corps, established in 2012, is a small group of individuals with a three-fold purpose: (1) educate members of the Texas legislature about the death penalty; (2) increase the visibility of TCADP in the state legislature; and (3) advance TCADP’s legislative agenda. The Lobby Corps was very successful in the most recent regular legislative session (January – May 2013).
In order to build on this success, TCADP seeks to expand the Lobby Corps to include additional members, particularly those who live outside of Austin. We invite applications from other individuals who would like to be involved in our efforts. While the primary work of the Lobby Corps is conducted when the legislature is in session, there are opportunities for legislative activity during the interim period (the next legislature regular session will take place from January – May 2015). Applications are being accepted through September 16, 2013.
The expectations of Lobby Corps members are listed below. If you are interested in joining the Lobby Corps, we invite you to submit an application either online or by mail to the address below. We expect that approximately 6-10 additional individuals will be selected to participate in this program.
Expectations of Participants:
- Attend a half-day-long training session in Austin in the fall of 2013 (the specific date will be determined based upon individual schedules).
- Commit to meetings in the State Capitol approximately one day each week (during regular business hours) during the regular legislative session in 2015 (January through May). Specific days will be determined during the legislative session.
- Provide detailed information to TCADP on the results of meetings and discussions with legislators and their staffs and recommended action steps.
- Provide the appropriate education / training for participants in this program.
- Identify specific legislators to be contacted and assist in scheduling meetings with them and/or their staffs.
- Provide the necessary information and materials to enable participants to conduct quality visits with members of the legislature.
- Accompany participants during initial visits to help introduce them to the process.
- Reimburse participants for mileage and parking fees. (Alternatively, individuals may claim these expenses as in-kind donations and consider them as deductions on Federal Income Tax returns.)
Interested individuals are encouraged to apply for participation in this program by completing the online application below. You can also download the form and mail completed applications to the address below. The deadline for applications is Monday, September 16, 2013. Please direct questions about this program to Bob Van Steenburg at email@example.com. Thanks!
Mail applications to:
Texas Coalition to Abolish the Death Penalty
ATTN: Lobby Corps
2709 S. Lamar Blvd
Austin, TX 78704