The TCADP Lobby Corps, established in 2012, is a dedicated group of individuals who serve a three-fold purpose: (1) educate members of the Texas legislature about the death penalty; (2) increase the visibility of TCADP in the State Capitol; and (3) advance TCADP’s legislative agenda. The Lobby Corps was very active in the regular legislative session in 2013. Members will play a vital role in our work in the next session, which will convene in January 2015.
TCADP now seeks to add at least five new members to our Lobby Corps ranks. We invite applications from our members and supporters across the state of Texas. You don’t have to be a political junkie to participate – we’ll provide you with all the training, resources, and support you’ll need!
We are grateful to everyone who submitted an application for the Lobby Corps. The 2014 application period is now closed. Phone interviews with finalists will take place in October.
The expectations of Lobby Corps members are listed below. If you are interested in joining the Lobby Corps, we invite you to submit an application using the online form below or by mail.
Expectations of Participants:
- Attend a half-day training session in Austin in the fall of 2014 (the training will take place after the general elections; the actual date will be determined based on individual schedules).
- Conduct meetings in the State Capitol at least twice a month during regular business hours during the regular legislative session in 2015 (January through May). Meeting schedules will be determined once the legislative session begins.
- Provide detailed information to TCADP on the results of meetings with legislators and their staff persons, as well as recommended next steps.
- Provide training and resources for participants.
- Identify specific legislators to be contacted and assist in scheduling meetings with them and/or their staff members.
- Provide information and materials to enable participants to conduct quality visits with members of the legislature.
- Accompany participants during initial visits to help introduce them to the process.
- Reimburse participants for mileage and parking fees. (Alternatively, individuals may claim these expenses as in-kind donations and consider them as deductions on Federal Income Tax returns.)
Interested individuals are encouraged to apply for the TCADP Lobby Corps program by completing the online application below. You can also download and mail your application to the address below. The deadline for submitting your application is Tuesday, September 30, 2014. Please direct questions about this program to TCADP Executive Director Kristin Houlé at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mail applications to:
Texas Coalition to Abolish the Death Penalty
ATTN: Lobby Corps
2709 S. Lamar Blvd
Austin, TX 78704