The TCADP Lobby Corps is a dedicated group of volunteers who work with our staff and board members to advance TCADP’s legislative agenda. Lobby Corps members played an active role in the last two Texas Legislative Sessions, meeting regularly with legislative offices and educating elected officials about the death penalty. They have continued to build relationships with legislators and share information about important death penalty developments in between sessions. The Lobby Corps will play a vital role in our work in the next state legislative session, which will convene in January 2017.
TCADP is now recruiting its fourth class of Lobby Corps members and seeks to add 5-8 new members to our ranks. We invite applications from our members and supporters statewide, as long as you are able to visit the State Capitol in Austin at least twice a month during the legislative session, which runs from mid-January through the end of May. You don’t have to be a political junkie to participate – we’ll provide you with all the training, resources, and support you’ll need.
If you are interested in joining the Lobby Corps, please submit an application using the form below or by mailing your completed application to the TCADP Office by October 5th. Phone interviews will be conducted in mid-October with candidates under consideration.
Expectations of Participants:
- Visit legislative offices at the State Capitol at least twice a month during normal business hours Monday – Thursday throughout the 2017 legislative session (mid-January through end of May 2017).
- Meet with assigned members of the legislature and/or their staff members and attend committee hearings as scheduled.
- Treat all legislators and their staffs with courtesy and respect, regardless of party affiliation or political differences.
- Provide TCADP with detailed information about interactions with legislative offices and recommend next steps.
- Attend a half-day training session in Austin. The training will take place during the week some time after the general election in November; the date will be determined based on individual schedules.
- When the legislature is not in session, assist TCADP with email outreach to assigned legislators regarding important death penalty developments.
- When the legislature is not in session, meet with legislators in their district offices and attend local political events, including community forums, town hall meetings, and open house events, as opportunities arise.
- Provide training and resources for Lobby Corps members.
- Assign specific legislators to be contacted and assist in scheduling meetings with those offices.
- Provide information and materials to enable participants to conduct quality visits with legislative offices.
- Accompany participants during initial visits.
- Reimburse participants for mileage and parking fees. (Alternatively, individuals may claim these expenses as in-kind donations and consider them as deductions on Federal Income Tax returns.)
We encourage interested individuals to apply for the TCADP Lobby Corps program by completing the form below. Alternatively, you can download and mail your application to the address below. The deadline for submitting applications is Wednesday, October 5, 2016. Please direct questions about this program to TCADP Executive Director Kristin Houlé at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mail completed applications to:
Texas Coalition to Abolish the Death Penalty
ATTN: Lobby Corps
2709 S. Lamar Blvd
Austin, TX 78704