TCADP Key Accomplishments in 2017
Together with local, state, and national partners, TCADP is working to reduce use of the death penalty in Texas and, ultimately, end this arbitrary, irreversible, and unfair punishment once and for all.
Here are some of our key accomplishments and proudest moments in the last year:
- Hosted the TCADP 2017 Annual Conference in Austin, featuring attorney Brian Stolarz
- With our volunteer Lobby Corps, advocated for repeal of the death penalty at the 85th Texas Legislature and organized powerful testimony for a committee hearing. We also supported an abolition bill that was filed in the State Senate.
- Held second Faith Leader Advocacy Day on the Death Penalty with clergy and lay leaders from Beaumont, Houston, Plano, Abilene, Copperas Cove, and Crowell, as well as members of the TCADP Lobby Corps. Collectively, participants visited nearly 40 legislative offices to share their opposition to the death penalty and urge support for repeal bills.
- Featured prominently in local, state, and national media coverage of death penalty issues.
- Published year-end report, Texas Death Penalty Developments in 2017: The Year in Review, which received widespread media coverage in Texas and nationwide; hand-delivered copies of the report to every legislative office at the State Capitol.
- Cultivated relationships with community leaders throughout the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex, presented to more than a dozen groups.
- Mobilized our members and key partners to stop executions in cases that raise troubling questions about the fairness and accuracy of the Texas death penalty.
- Built momentum for a revamped San Antonio chapter.
- Organized events featuring exonorees, murder victims’ survivors, family members and friends of persons on death row, and former prosecutors.
- Attracted new followers and increased engagement on social media.
- Secured more than 100 recurring donors, whose gifts collectively amount to nearly $20,000/year for TCADP.
- Received a $1,000 cash prize for having the most unique donors in a one-hour time block during Amplify Austin for the fifth year in a row.
Our work in 2018 will focus on building local leadership support; amplifying voices of experience; hosting film screenings and dismantling the death penalty, county by county.
Key Accomplishments from previous years are available here.