Together with local, state, and national partners, TCADP is working to reduce use of the death penalty in Texas and, ultimately, end this arbitrary, irreversible, and unfair punishment.
Here are some of our key accomplishments and proudest moments in the last year:
- Hosted the TCADP 2018 Annual Conference in Dallas at Friendship-West Baptist Church.
- Featured prominently in local, state, and national media coverage of death penalty issues.
- Published year-end report, Texas Death Penalty Developments in 2018: The Year in Review, which received widespread media coverage in Texas and nationwide; hand-delivered copies of the report to every legislative office at the State Capitol.
- Mobilized our members and key partners to stop executions in cases that raised troubling questions about the fairness and accuracy of the Texas death penalty.
- Recruited and trained fifth class of Lobby Corps members. The Lobby Corps is a dedicated group of volunteers who work with our staff and board members to advance TCADP’s legislative agenda.
- Cultivated relationships with community leaders across the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex, making presentations to a diverse group of organizations, including Brite Divinity School, the Catholic Pro-Life Committee of Dallas, and the Social Action Council of First Unitarian Church of Dallas.
- Moderated candidate forums featuring the Tarrant County District Attorney candidates during the 2018 midterm elections, and asked questions about the administration of the death penalty to Dallas County DA candidates in forums hosted by the ACLU of Texas, Friendship-West Baptist Church, and the Dallas Bar Association, among others.
- Organized events featuring exonorees, murder victims’ survivors, family members and friends of persons on death row, and former prosecutors.
- Attracted new followers and increased engagement on social media.
- Secured more than 120 recurring donors, whose gifts collectively amount to more than $22,000 in pledges each year.
- Received a $1,000 cash prize for having the most unique donors in a one-hour time block during Amplify Austin for the sixth year in a row.
Our strategic initiatives in 2019 include advocating for change at the state legislature and holding prosecutors accountable for death penalty practices. We also continue to build local leadership support; amplify voices of experience; host film screenings and dismantle the death penalty, county by county.