The Texas Coalition to Abolish the Death Penalty (TCADP) seeks a motivated, experienced Executive Director to lead our efforts in a multi-year, multi-pronged strategy to abolish the death penalty in Texas. TCADP is a state-wide, grassroots organization utilizing research, education and outreach on a state and local level in order to accomplish it goal. TCADP is the only state-wide organization in Texas advocating for the abolishment of the death penalty. The Executive Director will be based in Austin, TX. The position will require some travel within the state.
Job Description and Primary Responsibilities
The Executive Director is a full-time employee and non-voting member of the Board of Directors of TCADP. The Executive Director is in general charge of the day-to-day operations of TCADP in fiscal, program, staff, and other activities of the Coalition, performing those functions in accordance with the policies established by the Board of Directors and under the direct supervision of the President of the Coalition.
The Executive Director’s primary responsibilities include administration of the organization and providing all needed support to the Officers and the Board Committee Chairs in the performance of their duties. The Executive Director shares responsibility for the implementation of strategic plans, financial management, membership development, staff management and development, fundraising, program development and evaluation, operations, finance, and public relations.
- 5-7 years of progressive administrative experience in a not-for-profit organization
- Previous supervisory experience – salaried and volunteer staff
- Experience with media and press relations
- Successful implementation of a statewide or regional press and media campaign strategy
- Successful experience in community outreach and organizing
- Working knowledge of the Texas legislature
- Successful fundraising and grant writing experience
- Proven ability to provide leadership and demonstrate initiative
- Personal commitment to the abolition of capital punishment
Salary: Commensurate with experience; benefits included
To Apply: Send resume, cover letter, and writing sample to Jim Coombes, 1604 Garnaas, Austin, TX 78758, 512-339-9574, firstname.lastname@example.org
For further information contact Jim Coombes at the address shown above.
Target start date: November 2008
Deadline for Application: October 24, 2008.
TCADP IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER