[NOTE: These are pre-pandemic vigil locations.] TCADP members throughout the state hold vigils on the days of executions in Texas. We encourage your participation in these local actions as a form of witness against state-sanctioned killing. Check the TCADP website for any last-minute developments regarding stays of execution.
Vigils held at the Corner of 12th and Ave. I in front of Walls Unit at 5:15 PM (location of executions).
Austin, TX hosts multiple vigils on the days of executions. Vigils include:
- On Congress in front of the State Capitol at 11th St., 5:30 – 6:30 PM
- St. Ignatius Martyr Catholic Church on Oltorf and S. Congress at 6:00 PM
- A prayer vigil is held after the noon Mass in the chapel of St. Catherine of Sienna parish on each day there is an execution scheduled. The prayer service runs for about ten minutes. All are invited to attend.
A vigil is held at Diocese of Beaumont, Diocesan Pastoral Office, 703 Archie St., 4:00 PM on the days of executions.
Vigil held at 802 and Paredes Line from 5:00-6:00 PM.
Ecumenical Vigil hosted by Advocates for Justice and Peace located across from Holy Covenant UMC, Southeast Corner of Josey Lane and Peters Colony Road, 6:30 PM on the day of an execution.
College Station, TX
Vigil held at 5:30 to 6 PM, east of Texas A&M campus at the corner of Walton and Texas Ave. across the street from the main entrance.
Copperas Cove, TX
On days of execution, a prayer vigil will be held immediately following the 5:30 PM mass at Holy Family Catholic Church (1001 Georgetown Rd. ) to pray for those on death row awaiting execution, their families, the victims and their families, all involved in executions and for an end to the death penalty.
Corpus Christi, TX
Sisters of Incarnate Word Convent hold a vigil at 2930 Alameda at 6:00 PM.
Dallas Peace and Justice Center sponsor a vigil on execution days at 5:30 PM on the Mockingbird Bridge at Central Expressway.
Vigil held on execution day at at 6 PM at the corner of Oak and Elm on the square.
El Paso, TX
Vigil held at 12:00 to 1:00 PM in front of the El Paso County Courthouse, 500 E. San Antonio (downtown, between Mesa and Campbell Streets).
Prayer vigils are held in several parishes to pray for those on death row awaiting execution, their families, the victims and their families, all involved in executions and for an end to the death penalty. The vigils are bilinguals and are held once a month when there are executions scheduled. At this time, the following parishes have confirmed vigils. Please check parish bulletin, or contact the church directly for more information:
- St. Patrick Cathedral, Blessed Sacrament Chapel (1118 N. Mesa at Arizona)
- Christ the Savior Parish, Daily Mass Chapel (5301 Wadsworth Ave.)
- Our Lady of Mount Carmel Parish, Ysleta Mission (Alameda at Zaragoza)
- St. Luke’s (930 E. Redd Rd.)
- St. Mark’s/San Juan Diego (11700 Pebbles Hills Blvd.)
- St. Pius X Church (1050 N. Clark) in the Prayer Garden
- Corpus Christi Church (9205 N. Loop Dr.)
- Blessed Sacrament Parish (9025 Diana Dr.)
- San Francisco de Asis (5750 Doniphan)
- All Saints (1415 Dakota St.)
- St. Luke’s (930 E. Redd Rd.)
- Our Lady of Guadalupe (2709 Alabama St.) – prayers during morning Mass
Vigil held at Assumption Catholic Church Pro-Life Monument, 5:45 PM. Public invited. For information call 361-771-3325.
St. John’s United Methodist Church, 1501 University Ave., 5:45 to 6:15 PM on the day of execution.
St. Gabriel the Archangel Catholic Community, 110 St. Gabriel Way, on the last Sunday of the month, following the 11:00 mass to remember those scheduled for execution in the following month, as well as the victims of their crimes and family members on both sides.
Public vigil takes place from 5:00 to 5:30 PM in front of St. Joseph Catholic Parish, 907 S. Dixie, Odessa 79761. Prayer takes place inside the church from 5:30 to 6:00 PM. All are welcome. The church phone number is 432-337-2213.
San Antonio, TX
San Antonio, TX hosts multiple vigils on the days of executions. Vigils include:
- 12 PM to 1 PM across from the main entrance to the Bexar County Justice Center at 300 Dolorosa. There is parking at the Frost Bank Building, 60 N. Flores (1 block north of our vigil site) and at the South Flores Parking Garage, 211 South Flores (1 block south of the vigil site).
- Archdiocese of San Antonio, in the St. Joseph Chapel at the Chancery, 2718 W. Woodlawn Ave. (1 mile east of Bandera Rd.) at 11:30 AM on the day of execution. Broadcast on Catholic Television of San Antonio (Time-Warner cable channel 15) at 12:30 PM and 6:30 PM on the day of execution.
- Join the Sisters of Divine Providence and friends in vigil and prayer from 5:30 to 6:00 PM on Texas execution days in front of Our Lady of the Lake Convent by the large crucifix. 515 S.W. 24th Street.
Prayer Vigil at 6 PM on evenings of executions at St. Edward Catholic Community, 2601 Spring Stuebner Rd, Spring, TX 77389 for the murder victim, for family and friends of the murder victim, the prison guards and correctional officers, for the family of the condemned individual, for the individual to be executed and to an end to the death penalty.
At Incarnate Word Convent, 5:45 PM. Public invited. For information call 361-575-7111.