Please consider participating in the Austin area opportunities listed below.
Violence And The Death Penalty In Texas – Walter Long
Walter Long, Austin criminal defense attorney and founder of the Texas After Violence Project, will facilitate a series of four Wednesday night discussions at Trinity United Methodist Church, 4001 Speedway, Austin, Texas 78751, on active engagement with the problems of violence and the death penalty in Texas. The Pendle Hill Pamphlet, “An Art of Small Resurrections – Surviving the Texas Death Chamber” by Mr. Long will be provided as a part of this class. Each night there is a dinner from 6:00 to 7:00 PM and discussion from 7:00 to 8:30 PM. Registration may be made in advance at: http://www.tumc.dreamhosters.com/events/wna-spring-session-1-begins-125/
- January 25th: Theologies of the death penalty: a look at the Pendle Hill Pamphlet, “An Art of Small Resurrections” (free copies now available at TUMC), and punitive religion in light of Jesus’ command to love the enemy.
- February 1st: Trauma systems and the death penalty: a look at the heavy social costs of a trauma-inducing public policy and better ways to meet the basic human needs for justice and nonviolence.
- February 8th: Oral history and the death penalty: a look at the Texas After Violence Project and oral history as a means of deep listening and social transformation.
- February 15th: Leaving the death penalty behind: exploring how religious congregations might help their communities overcome the dual affliction of private and official violence.
TCADP Delivery of Annual Report to Texas Legislators, Tuesday – January 31
If you have not RSVP’d to help with the report delivery, please email your intentions to Bob Van Steenburg at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The delivery of the report will include:
- Meeting at 9 AM in room E2.018 (Note this change. We are not meeting in the cafeteria as we have in past years.). We will use this room as our center of operations. The room will be available to us all day.
- 9:00 – 9:30: Receiving instructions, information and making delivery plans.
- 9:30 – until: Delivering Annual Report to offices in the capitol.
Please plan on arriving by 9 AM so we can provide the necessary information/instructions to everyone at one time.
For those who may be new or haven’t visited the Capitol in a while, here are a couple of things to consider.
- Capitol Visitors Garage is at 1201 San Jacinto located between Trinity and San Jacinto Streets at 12th and 13th streets.
- You are required to pass through security to enter the Capitol. This may result in a longer time to get into the building, so plan accordingly.
- Room E2.018 is in the Capitol Extension building. Take the elevators, which are just off the rotunda area to the E2 level. You can view floor maps of the Capitol on the web at http://www.capevent.legis.state.tx.us/. Select Maps from the menu on the right side of the page.
For more information or questions contact Bob Van Steenburg at email@example.com.
Information is also included about the upcoming annual meeting and training to be held in San Antonio, February 18. Please learn more and register today! (Hotel Block rates end on January 31 and registration rates increase on February 1 – don’t overlook these important dates.)
TCADP 2012 Annual Conference: Seizing the Momentum… Creating the Climate for Change
Saturday, February 18, 2012, University of the Incarnate Word Sky Room, San Antonio
Please make plans to join us on Saturday, February 18, 2012 in San Antonio for the 2012 TCADP Annual Conference. The conference features two workshop sessions, a panel discussion on how the changing demographics in Texas will impact our efforts to abolish the death penalty, and networking opportunities with new and old friends. The annual awards ceremony will take place during the luncheon to celebrate those individuals who inspired us in 2011.
Registration for the 2012 TCADP Annual Conference is open. TCADP member, non-member, student, and early-bird rates are available. Prices go up after February 1, 2012.
Advertise in the program to promote your work, congratulate the award winners, and sponsor this annual event. Exhibitor tables are also available. Learn more.
All of the conference information, including award winners, hotel information, etc. is available online at https://tcadp.org/what-we-do/annual-conference/.